If you’re looking to build a new home, a factory-built home (also called a modular home) could be a great option. Here are the top five reasons why a factory-built house can provide many advantages over traditional site-built construction.
- Factory-built, modular homes, are built in a more controlled environment
- You won’t have delays due to bad weather. With the usual site-built process, the construction materials used in your home are exposed to rain and sun until “lock-up” is reached. When building in a factory there’s always a roof protecting your building from the elements.
- When you have a house built on your site you can have lots of noise, dirt and dust. Building in a factory means you’ll have fewer issues with neighbours.
- Because your home is built in a highly controlled environment, it’s far easier to have tight quality controls. This means every element that goes into your home is closely inspected and monitored for quality control.
- Your new home arrives at your site almost complete and ready to connect to utilities
Most of the hard work has been done in the factory. There’s only a short amount of site preparation to install the footings that your new home will be placed on. Then there’s the job of “complexing” which means joining the individual modules together. After that, the services (water, electrical and gas) are connected. Some small paint, plaster, and other touch ups as well as installation of any decks and other external fixtures follows.
In a few short weeks, your home is ready to move into.
- Factory-built, modular home construction takes less time than traditional site-built construction methods
Factory-built home construction takes less time than traditional site-built construction methods. This allows you to start living in your new home much sooner than with traditional methods!
If you’re knocking down and rebuilding, this means you don’t have to move out for the entire duration of the build. You can wait until a week or two before the footings need to be installed, and a few short weeks later you can move back in to your new home.
4. You can customize many details of your home
Although there’s a wide range of plans available to suit almost any site, there are always some things that are unique to the way you live. With the factory-built process it’s often easier to make changes to the “off the shelf” designs to perfectly suit your way of living.
Your home can be customised to how you want it. From layouts to fixtures and colours, you can customize many details of your modular home.
5. Modular building is more cost effective than site-built construction
- Modular homes are built in a factory, which means less time onsite. This saves trades travel time because they are driving to the same site every day and working on multiple homes. This means cost savings which ultimately flow onto you, the homeowner.
- Having your home built in a factory means the builder has more control over the quality of construction and there are fewer chances for mistakes to be made…and again, that means cost savings.
- Building in a factory means less waste during manufacture. For example, small timber offcuts from one house under construction get used for noggings in another being built next to it in the factory. With site building these offcuts would normally lie around on a muddy site in the rain, until they were thrown away. Wasting precious resources and costing the homeowner more.
With all the benefits of factory-built housing, it’s no wonder so many people are choosing modular construction over conventional methods. If you want to learn more about the benefits of prefab homes, contact us today! We’ll be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have about this method of home building